Free Agency is a unique talent startup that helps people upgrade and accelerate their career trajectory. Hollywood entertainers and athletes have agents — why shouldn’t everyone else? We currently serve clients (Free Agents) who work in the technology industry. We’ve raised $5.35m from amazing investors, including Resolute Ventures, Bloomberg Beta, Ludlow Ventures, and more.
We represent knowledge workers in their careers, similar to agents or brokers in other industries. Some of what we provide is digital, such as tools to track skills, interesting jobs, and career progress. Most of what we provide is concierge service, in the form of Talent Agents who pair with our Free Agent clients on a one-to-one basis.
However, we are now in the process of creating a suite of digital products to stack on top of our human-powered services. These are all consumer-facing web and mobile applications focused on job search, career management, and professional development. While we can’t get into all the details, these products are going to be first-of-their-kind tools that empower our current clients (and others!) to better land dream jobs, track their career progress, reach long-term goals, and interact with experts and Free Agency. We use proprietary data science, our community of Free Agents and alumni, and our opinion of how the recruiting world should work to fuel innovative tools that inform and empower our users.
We’re looking to make our first engineering hire in the form of a Senior or Lead Front-End Engineer. This individual will be responsible for the design and implementation of the entirety of our products’ front ends. You will be reporting to and directly working with the COO, who is a VP of Engineering by background, and collaborating very closely with the CEO, who has extensive product experience.
Depending on your seniority, as the technical team grows, you will be central to defining the culture, determining future roles, and hiring or mentoring future team members.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with the CEO and COO on building modern, customer-facing products and UI
- Writing high-quality code with a focus on user experience and performance
- Responding to rapid feedback cycles and additional feature requests + A/B tests
- Working across a portfolio of products, switching priorities throughout each quarter
- Mentoring (and potentially managing) future junior engineers
- 3+ years experience at a technology company
- Fluency in HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues
- Appreciation for clean design and intuitive UX
- Motivated and able to work independently, with an eye for details
- Experience developing an idea into a polished product
- Experience leading or mentoring junior engineers
Things that you may want to know:
- We are a ship-fast culture, but we don’t settle for sloppy MVPs. If you don’t inherently care about pushing pixels around, we might drive you crazy.
- The CEO will be the primary product manager and design leader for the foreseeable future, and thus you should feel comfortable having infrequent check-ins with your stakeholder.
- We don’t mind whether you’re on the lesser or more experienced end of the spectrum. This role is adaptable based on seniority.
Internally, you will:
- Report directly to the COO, who is a VP of Engineering by background.
- Work closely with the CEO, who is a product leader by background.
- Collaborate with other engineers on product development.
Compensation: This depends on your experience and how much of the role we expect you to fulfill immediately. If we’re taking more of a bet on you, you should expect to make around $130,000. If you’re more senior and immensely qualified, you could make up to $165,000. We also offer equity in the business and we’ll be extremely transparent during offer-stage as to the details of any equity offering.
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5